Skip to main content

Ask the Knight

Find what you need in our searchable FAQ.

Financial Aid: What are the different kinds of financial aid?

274 views   |   2 Vote this question as useful.   0 Vote this question as not useful.   |   Last updated on Feb 22, 2018   


  • California College Promise Grant (CCPG)– a non-cash award available for residents of California who meet the income guidelines. This waives the per unit enrollment fee, but students are still responsible for paying the Campus Center Fee, Health Fee, and any applicable Material Fees associated with specific classes
  • Federal Pell Grant Program (FPELL) – This is the largest federal grant program for an undergraduate college student. Awards are based on the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and enrollment status. Pell Grants range from $0 to $5815 per academic year. These are typically disbursed four times a semester.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) – The FSEOG program is for students who qualify for the maximum FPELL Grant. Funding is limited for this program and awarding is done on a first-come first-served basis. The FSEOG is $1,200 per academic year. You must be enrolled full-time (12 or more units) to receive this grant payment.
  • Federal College Work Study (FCWS) - The federal college work study program provides temporary part-time jobs at 10 hours per week to eligible students. You must indicate you are "interested in being considered for work-study" on your FAFSA. Award amounts are based on unmet need calculated by the FAFSA. The actual amount earned depends on the number of hours worked and the current wage rate. Note: Funding is limited; therefore awards are done on a first-come first-serve basis. Complete the FAFSA early!  You must be enrolled in at least 6 academic units to participate in the Work-Study program.
  • Cal- Grant Program - Cal-Grant awards are administered and awarded by the California Student Aid Commission to help pay for college expenses. Shasta College receives a roster from CSAC with all eligible students for Cal A, B or C. Shasta College awards Cal Grants once all other Federal and State Aid has been evaluated. Award payments are adjusted per your enrollment. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to receive a disbursement.
  • Full Time Student Success Grant- California State Grant and eligibility is determined by whether or not a student is certified at full time enrollment for a Cal Grant B or C. If a student is qualified for Cal B or C and in 12+ units, the student will automatically be awarded the FTSSG grant. The FTSSG grant will be released after the Cal B or C grant has been released to the student.
  • Chafee Grant Program for Foster Youth - The California Chafee Grant Program gives money to eligible current or former foster youth to use for career and technical training or college courses. 
    To qualify, you must:  
    Be eligible, or have been eligible, for Independent Living Program (ILP) services between your 16th and 19th birthdays and have not reached your 22nd birthday as of July 1 of the award year. 
    To apply you must file two applications the FAFSA and the California Chafee Grant Program Application. Links to both of these applications are available on the Financial Aid Homepage. 
  • Federal Direct Loan Program - Federal Direct Loan Program (Subsidized Stafford and Unsubsidized Stafford) offers loans through the federal government. You must be enrolled in at least 6 units to receive a loan payment. Visit our Student Loans webpage for complete information on applying. 
  • Scholarships – Scholarships are available to eligible students and are awards based on academic merits, community service, or other criteria. The specifics of each scholarship vary as they are usually awarded by private foundations, schools, or other organizations. This type of financial aid does not have to be repaid and eligibility is determined by the individual scholarship.